Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Sun




Power Protuberance



Credit: NASA/STEREO

This powerful prominence eruption took place on Sept. 29, 2008, and is seen in the 304 angstrom wavelength of extreme UV light. Prominences are relatively cool clouds of gas suspended above the sun and controlled by magnetic forces.

The prominence rose and cascaded to the right over several hours, appearing something like a flag unfurling, as it broke apart and headed into space. The prominence is composed of ionized Helium that is about 60,000 degrees Kelvin.



I hate orange. It could have something to do with the fact that I painted the ceiling of my room orange at one point of time. To this day I can't recall what made that idea enter my brain. The damage is however done. I feel a deep and aggressive hate of orange. I was always a blues person, from birth. Probably prenatally, I was a blues person.

As with every rule, this rule is meant to be broken! I only brake the blues rule for fall foliage and my beloved SUN. :-)

That is one pretty prominence even in all its orangeness.








No comments: